Dirt and spills will happen. What to do?
First things first: the vacuum is your best friend. Dirt and dust will settle into the surface of your rug and vacuuming regularly will prevent the dirt from damaging your rug.
Second, make or buy an all natural chemical free carpet “spot lifter” (available at any major home center, like Green Building Supply).
DIY carpet cleaner:
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of a translucent all natural liquid dishwashing detergent into one cup of lukewarm water.
How to Clean:
- Blot spills with a clean, damp white cloth
- Spot clean with all natural carpet cleaner
- Vacuum regularly without a beater brush
- Rotate every 3 months for even wear
- Professionally clean with no chemicals
Introduced in the 1960s, and wildly popular in the 1970s – wall to wall carpeting is enjoying a resurgence in popularity mainly because of its warmth and softness.
Do you remember the 70s shag? Whole living rooms blanketed with avocado or tangerine shag floors that needed to be raked?
Or perhaps like me, you grew up watching The Brady Bunch, with almost the entire set covered in wall to wall carpet?
(What ever happened to Carol Brady’s husband? And did anyone else notice that the exterior view of the Brady house showed the second floor on the left side while the interior clearly has the staircase on the right side? Just two of the mysteries of my childhood).
Somewhere in the 90’s, flooring trends changed. Wall to wall carpeting was ripped out and replaced with hardwood floors and area rugs.
Carpet has lost favor as a decor choice, partly due to the ‘bad rap’ it has endured. That new carpet smell? The result of the chemicals used to manufacture the carpet. Critics maintain that these chemicals off gas and create poor indoor air quality.
Besides no off gassing/ new carpet smell, here are some of the reasons why Organic Wool Carpet is an ideal choice for living areas, hallways and bedrooms:
- soft and comfortable underfoot
- natural material from rapidly renewable resource (sheep)
- filters dust and allergens
- durable and long-lasting; wears well, resilient, retains original texture
- flameproof, abrasion resistant
- excellent sound absorption and heat insulation
- easily cleaned and maintained
- no chemical stain protectors or moth proofing treatments
What’s old is new again. Organic Weave offers a myriad of color and style choices, including shags. Shags that need no rake.